New Deal/WPA Art in McDonough, Georgia

This Post Office mural was funded by the Section of Fine Arts under the Treasury Department and not the WPA.

McDonough, GA Post Office
"Cotton Gin Mill" - oil on canvas
Jean Charlot (1941)
(This building is now the Henry County Courthouse Annex.)

Image courtesy of the USPS

Reference Source:
Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal
by Marlene Park & Gerald E. Markowitz

Thanks to Jimmy Emerson who contributed the photograph!

Look for photographs of Post Office exteriors at the Post Mark Collectors Club (PMCC) Post Office photo page:

E-mail Nancy

© 2006 Nancy Lorance
All Rights Reserved.