New Deal/WPA Art in Mooresville, North Carolina
Post Office New Deal Artwork
Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department's Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.
"Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as "the Section," it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section's main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people." from "Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals" by Patricia Raynor
Mooresville, NC Post Office
Thanks to Cindy Jacobs who contributed the above photograph.
Thanks to Jimmy Emerson who contributed the two close-up photographs.
If you want to see what a certain post office looks like, check out the Post Mark Collectors Club (PMCC) Photo page at: http://www.postmarks.org/photos
Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal
by Marlene Park & Gerald E. Markowitz
Mooresville Public Library and the WPA
In 1936, the Maids and Matrons Club of Mooresville (NC) became sponsor for the Mooresville Public Library, in order to comply with the Works Progress Administration's regulations.
The Club appointed a committee of three members to serve as a Library Board. The Board secured quarters in downtown Mooresville, above the Moor Theater, built new shelves and reopened the Library to the public.
Rent for the new quarters was $7 per month, and the Works Progress Administration paid the Librarian's salary of $50.
By the end of 1936, more than 500 books were mended and put in excellent condition by a WPA Mending Project. Child-size tables and chairs were secured to the children's reading programs.
In March, the WPA arranged for a full time janitress to work at the Library.
Source of the above information: Maude (Mrs. D. W.) Creswell Report to the Maids and Matrons Club of Mooresville
Funding for the Librarian ended in 1938. At that time, LuTelle Sherrill Williams built a new Library building for the community on land owned by her family.
Information contributed by Cindy Jacobs
The New Deal at Work in Mooresville - a comprehensive website on the progress and projects in Mooresville, NC, hosted by Cindy Jacobs.
© 2005 Nancy Lorance
All Rights Reserved.