New Deal/WPA Art in Lisbon, North Dakota
This information is from Ms. Elizabeth Anderson from the Smithsonian American Art Museum:
The Lisbon, ND relief was completed in 1943 but was never installed in the Post Office. It was stored in the basement of the Post Office until 1972, when the ownership of the relief was transferred from the General Services Administration (GSA) to the Smithsonian, but was never moved to Washington DC. As part of the "transfer," the relief was loaned to Augustana College in Sioux Falls, SD. However, in the mid 1980's, the Smithsonian was unable to account for the relief on the campus of Augustana. No one at the College can be found who remembers the relief. The President of the College at the time does not remember any type of transfer of art. It is probably still in a crate somewhere on campus.
Thanks to Jimmy Emerson, Post Mark Collectors Club (PMCC) Photo page, who contributed this information.
© 2006 Nancy Lorance
All Rights Reserved.