New Deal/WPA Art in Los Angeles, California
November 19, 1993 - "New Deal Era Mural Reinstalled in Federal Courthouse After Absence of over 30 Years" by Robert Greene - http://www.nzapatina.com/press/press_clippings/press_10.htm -Metropolitan News Enterprise article about Lucian Labaudt's mural "Ranches--American and Spanish" - pdf file of article
LA Times article:
"BURBANK SAVES HUGO BALLIN'S CRAZY WPA MURAL"
"Early Hollywood director/artist Hugo Ballin created many famed LA murals, like the historical science scenes within the Griffith Park Observatory dome and the Soviet-meets-Dutch Masters "Apotheosis of Power" in the old Edison building downtown. Burbank's City Hall chopped up and obscured his work there, but now the spooky "Four Freedoms" scene will be restored. The LAT writes, "According to Burbank folklore, past mayors disliked the mural because a donkey in the painting was situated directly behind the mayor's seat. When the mayor stood, the ears of a jackass appeared to grow from his head."
The former Navy & Marine Corps Reserve Training Center, Los Angeles, Chavez Ravine, is the site of painted over WPA murals. This 1930's building is now operated by the LA Fire department.
There is a series of murals painted under WPA/FAP funding by Lucile Lloyd. The three murals were dedicated on October 16, 1937 at the first Los Angeles State Building at 217 West First Street, hung in an Assembly room. The middle was 16'x13' and side panels were 6.5'x13'. They were moved after the original site was damaged in the 1971 LA Earthquake. The murals are titled "California's Name" and now reside in the Senate Committee Room, Sacramento.
© 2006 Nancy Lorance
All Rights Reserved.