New Deal/WPA Art in Marseille, Illinois
Post Office New Deal Artwork
Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department's Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.
"Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as "the Section," it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section's main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people." from "Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals" by Patricia Raynor
||Marseilles, IL Post Office
"Industrial Marseilles" - oil on canvas
by Avery Johnson (1938)
This mural was photographed and contributed
by Larry Dunlap and his son, Chris (2001),
as well as Mark Walther (2005).
All murals depicted
on this site are used with permission
of the United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.
Interested in the town of Marseilles, Illinois? Check out the website of the Marseilles Tourism & Park District Committee.
Illinois Post Office page
© 2005 Nancy Lorance
All Rights Reserved.