New Deal/WPA Art in Scottsboro, Alabama
Most of the post office works of art were funded under the Treasury Department's Section commissions. Those works that were created using TRAP funds are so indicated. Although the WPA funded the construction of post office buildings, the artwork was not WPA but was usually produced under the Section or TRAP programs. Unless indicated, works of art are located in the US Post Office building.
More info about the AL murals can be found at: www.alabamamoments.state.al.us/sec49det.html
|Page School in Scottsboro was built by the WPA in 1939. It served as the county high school until 1967 and then became an elementary school until 2001 when it was closed. It is three stories, including basement and has an auditorium. The city of Scottsboro plans to restore the building for use as the central school board office.|
Many thanks to Jimmy Emerson who contributed the photographs.
If you want to view the exterior of a post office, check out the Post Mark Collectors Club (PMCC) Photo page at: http://www.postmarks.org/photos
© 2005 Nancy Lorance
All Rights Reserved.