The following resources are very useful in
identifying artists and pertinent information about their careers:
- BMI - This source is available through
- Davenport's Art Reference & Price Guide
- Ed. R. J. Davenport. This is an expensive but extremely useful tool.
The Artfact Pro Decorative Arts CD-Rom sells for $1,295; the Artfact Pro
Fine Arts CD-Rom also sells for $1,295; Leonard's Annual Price Index CD-Rom
(1999) covers 1980-1998 art auction prices and costs $995. It is published
by Gordon's Art Reference, Arizona, Inc. (222.egordon.com). They also publish
a hardcover book (ref. 700.75 DAV)
which is not as extensive but is very good for identifying basic information
about approximately 200,000 artists.
- Currier's Price Guide to American Artists
at Auction by William T. Currier (1994 - 6th Edition), published by
Currier Publications, 241 Main Street, Stoneham, MA 02180, 1-800-344-0760
(Ref. 700.75 Cur).
- Index to Artistic Biography, Vols. I, II,
& Supplement, by Patricia Pate Havlice; published by The Scarecrow
Press, Inc., Metuchen, NJ (1973) - (Ref. 709.22
- Dictionary of Women Artists, Vols. I &
II - Ed. Delia Gaze, published by Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 70 East
Walton St., Chicago, IL 60611 (Ref. 709.22
- Art Index, Vols. I-48 - Ed. Ruta Butkus
Vanderheide; published by The H.W. Wilson Company, 950 University Avenue,
Bronx, NY 10452 (Ref. 700.02 ART)
- Who's Who in American Art - by Marquis
Who's Who, 121 Chanlon Road, New Providence, NJ 07974 (Ref.
709.22 WHO). Note: The older editions of Who's
Who in American Art have more information about WPA artists; the later
editions tend to condense information and sometimes drop a name.
- Who Was Who in American Art - (Ref.
- ARTISTS IN CALIFORNIA 1786-1940 II - by Edan Milton Hughes
(1989); this is a great source for California artists.
- Social Security Death Index - If you
have information about the date of birth, etc., you might be able to track
down an artist through the SSDI. http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm
- Mantle Fieldings Dictionary of American
Painters, Sculptors, and Engravers - Ed. Glenn B. Opitz; published
by Apollo Book (1986), 5 Schoolhouse Lane, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603 (915-462-0040)
- (Ref. 709.22 FIE)
- St. James Guide to Black Artists -
Ed. Thomas Riggs; published by St. James Press (1997), 835 Penobscot Building,
Detroit, MI 48226 (Ref. 709.2396 STJ)
- Americans 1942 - 18 Artists From 9 States, Museum of Modern Art,
New York (1942, New York City, NY)
- Artist/USA - Bicentennial Issue, published by Artists/USA,
Inc. (1976, Philadelphia, PA)
- A Biographical Dictionary of Painters and Sculptors in Illinois,
Ph.D. Dissertation, Esther Sparks, Northwestern University (709.773
Return to Biography Page
Copyright 2000 Parva Productions
Ltd. All Rights Reserved.